Wednesday, May 4, 2011

My visit to Haiti: Port-au-Prince and Jacmel


On the way from the airport.
 Back of bus; tents covers in tarps.
 I arrived in Haiti on Monday and after spending the night in the very busy capital city of Port-au-Prince of some 3 million people moved westward and south to the city of Jacmel. 

Garbage collection in Port-au-Prince is almost non existant!



One of many tent cities!





The purpose of this week long visit was to purchase and distribute books for the 325 student school in mountains near Marbial with funds raised through the Polar Plunge, my Peterborough-Kawartha Club and a DSG, and to explore the possibility of doing one or more Club or District projects with members of the Jacmel Rotary Club.  What I have seen and learned speaking with a variety of Rotary members and others in this country is interesting.  Everything is not quite as it has been portrayed in the media.  
Haiti's Future
I am still here for another four days with visits planned to schools and another orphanage.  I have now learned there are at least 3 orphanages in Jacmel!  When I get home, I can better portray what I have seen with photos.   I am also prepared to visit clubs starting in July to share my impressions, and ways that District 7010 Rotarians might be able to assist in this country that has suffered perils for many years. 


No comments:

Post a Comment